Scenic City Sing-Off is a fun vocal competition for Chattanooga-area singers ages 16 and up.
Registration & Auditions:
- All contestants must register via the Sign-Up form on sceniccitysingoff.com and pay a $25 entry fee.
Contestants must be 16 years or older.
- Contestants under 18 years old must have parental consent to participate.
- Signed parental consent forms will be required and collected at the live auditions.
- Contestants under 18 years old must perform at the live audition prior to 9:00pm.
- Solo participants only.
- No more than 80 contestants will be accepted to compete.
- The 80 (maximum) contestants will be accepted on a first-come first-served basis.
- Scenic City Sing-Off will confirm registration and provide further instructions and scheduling.
- Contestants must audition live at Sing It or Wing It to be eligible to move forward in the competition.
- Contest is open to all vocal styles and genres.
- Audition and event performances must be in good taste. Lyrics or subject matter that Scenic City Sing-Off, in its sole discretion, deems inappropriate to a family-style audience will disqualify the entry.
- Scenic City Sing-Off reserves the right to have final say on appropriateness of final performance material.
- Scenic City Sing-Off retains the right to video performances for promotional purposes..
- Audition songs may not exceed 5 minutes in length but must be at least 2 minutes in length.
- Auditions must be performed live and must be your own, solo performance (i.e., no pre-recording, lip-syncing, auto-tuning, etc.).
- Audition will be a single song.
- Audition must be sung acapella, to a track (provided by contestant) or self-accompanied on instrument. The use of instruments must be indicated on the contest registration form. Failure to note the use of instruments may result in a lack of appropriate audio equipment for the audition.
- A panel of judges will select 6 live audition winners to compete in the Grand Finale round at the Bessie Smith Cultural Center on May 10, 2018.
- All contestants invited to participate in the Grand Finale will be notified via email no later than Monday, April 23, 2018.
- Contestants participating in the live auditions will be required to provide proof of age.
- Contestants participating in the live auditions will be asked to provide additional information and items to assist in promotion of the event (biographical data, head shot/photo, etc.). A list of specific requested information will be provided in advance of the live auditions.
- Finalist contestants must perform live at the Bessie Smith Cultural Center on May 10, 2018 to be eligible to win.
No later than May 1, 2018, contestant must provide the following to Scenic City Sing-Off:
- Music track (CD or mp3 file) of the song to be performed at the finale. (Song may not exceed five minutes) or the detailed equipment (instrument) list.
- Complete lyrics of the song to be performed at the finale.
- Failure to provide music by the May 1, 2018 deadline will disqualify the contestant.
Grand Finale Competition:
- Contestants will perform one song for which they will be judged. Voice presentation must be a live performance by the artist.
- Entire live performance may not exceed five minutes. Timing begins with the first word or note.
- Contestants must participate in a sound check at Bessie Smith Cultural Center on Thursday, May 10, 2018, between 4:00 pm and 5:30 pm.
- All attire shall be selected and provided by the contestant.
- No animals are permitted.
- Contestants may only perform the song that was submitted to Scenic City Sing-Off by May 1, 2018. No substitutions will be allowed.
- Event performances must be in good taste. Lyrics or subject matter that Scenic City Sing-Off, in its sole discretion, deems inappropriate to a family-style audience will disqualify the entry.
- Contestants must arrive to the Grand Finale competition in their stage attire. Dressing rooms will not be provided.
- Instructions will be given at the beginning of the competition and/or during sound check; all performers must enter and exit as directed prior to the performance.
- Judges for the Grand Finale competition will be local dignitaries, celebrities or professionals selected by Scenic City Sing-Off.
- Performance will be evaluated by the following categories: vocal ability, appearance/stage presence, and overall assessment.
- Performance will be scored using a scale of 1 to 10 in each category, with 10 being the highest score.
- In the event of a tie, the first tiebreaker shall be the highest number of points given in the vocal ability category. The second tiebreaker shall be the highest number of points awarded in the appearance/stage presence category. The third tiebreaker shall be by a secret vote of judges based on overall performance, style, and impact.
- Awards will be presented at the conclusion of the Grand Finale competition on May 10, 2018, at the Bessie Smith Cultural Center.
- Monetary gifts will be awarded to the first prize winner and the people’s choice winner.
- The first prize winner will be awarded a $1,000 cash prize.
- The people’s choice winner will be awarded a $250 cash prize.
Scenic City Sing-Off shall be the sole authority in resolving all disputes and may disqualify any contestant at any level of the competition for failure to comply with the rules. Such decisions are final and binding.